It's a good book, but it's not my Typee...

Monday, January 10, 2011

Lady of the Butterflies

The first book I have finished reading this year is Lady of the Butterflies.

It took me over six months to read because from the very beginning, the reader knows Eleanor's life will not be a happy one. That's something easy to accept when a book is just beginning and the characters are strangers.

But Eleanor Glanville is an enchanting and vibrant woman who draws the reader into her life with ease. I began to like her so much that I only wanted the best for her. I wanted the book to trail off into a boring account of her daily happiness. But I knew from the first pages that she would be victimized by fate, her fellow man, and her own fierce independence.

Eleanor chases butterflies all her life, even at the risk of her way of life. She keeps and treasures them as if they are precious gems. Like a butterfly, she finds new life through the threat of death. Her love story is full of tragedy and loss of every kind, but a woman so ahead of her time cannot ignore the capacity for life she holds.

Historical fiction is difficult to do well, but Fiona Mountain provides us with a jewel set in a historically sound world.

No comments:

Post a Comment