It's a good book, but it's not my Typee...

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Books for Free

As I pursue my ongoing life goal to make my way through as many books as humanly possible, I find it's best to not pay for them.

Naturally, I get books from the public library fairly often. When I do buy books, I always buy them used, usually spending no more than $3 even for hardbacks. But the library is one of my favorite sources because not only do I get to read for free, but when I'm done with a book I get to return it rather than find a bookshelf on which to squeeze it. My local library offers both paper books and audio books. I check out three or four books on CD at the time and listen to them on my commute.

When I want to listen to an audio book on my iPod, I don't buy one or even transfer it from CD to the mp3 player, which would be horribly time-consuming. I go to Librivox.org and download pretty much any classic book I care to listen to. There is no cost and Librivox offers over 4,000 recordings, all of works in the public domain. The only downside is that anyone can sign up to read a chapter or even an entire book. Not everyone who reads is a native English speaker and even those who are often mangle words they're not familiar with. For the most part, I really enjoy the recordings and have even found some that are excellently read.

For text copies of public domain works, Gutenberg.org is a great choice. Their ebooks can be read on a computer as well as a Kindle or other reading device.

No comments:

Post a Comment