It's a good book, but it's not my Typee...

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

R.I.P., Ishmael

Today my goldfish Ishmael died. He was one of three Moby Dick themed goldfish living in a tank in my living room. He started out the same size as Ahab, but was quickly outgrown by his tankmate. Moby, the tiny white fantail goldfish, was added later on and is now Ahab's only companion, which is quite fitting. What is not fitting is that Moby is about one fifth the size of Ahab. Who's got the upper fin now, eh?

Anyway, Ishmael started out orange and white, with a cute little pattern on one side that made him look sort of like a cow. Over the course of the year and a half I had him, he turned completely white (which threw off the concept that Moby was supposed to be the only white fish in the tank, but I can't blame him). He was nothing spectacular, but he will be missed. And I will always be glad I rescued him from the feeder fish tank at a local pet store.

So now, Ahab swims around, gobbling everything in sight. And Moby wiggles his little back end for all he's worth (a fantail goldfish's only means of locomotion, once again lessening his terrifyingness). But there's an empty space in the tank tonight. Maybe I'll add another fish sometime. I have always wanted to find a little goldfish with a black pattern on his face and name him Queequeg...

No comments:

Post a Comment