It's a good book, but it's not my Typee...

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Reasons to Be Pretty

Reasons to Be Pretty by Neil LaBute is a play full of unlikeable characters.

There are only four characters in the play and Greg, the main character, is the only bearable one. He manages to elicit neutral feelings in the reader rather than active annoyance. Greg protests throughout the entire play that the insulting remark he made about his girlfriend was meant to be a compliment. I want to believe him, but considering what a jerk his best friend and even girlfriend are, it's hard to imagine that birds of a feather aren't flocking together.

I'm sure this play would make for great theatre with the right cast, but after reading the script I was left feeling like I'd missed something. Something that might not be there after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment